Everybody loves the Christmas season. It’s time to be merry! And most families are always looking for some fun things to do together, as they countdown to the New Year. Of course, there are lots of things to do such as singing Christmas carols, reading Christmas stories, watching movies, doing crafts, etc.
Whatever you choose to do, just ensure that it’s fun for the whole family. Choose games and fun activities that shall bring you closer together, enable you to appreciate each other, and give thanks for the whole year you have been together.
Therefore, we have found 5 fun things you can do on Christmas Eve night, Christmas Day, and even New Year’s Eve as well as New Year’s Day. These are family fun activities. Let’s get started.
Relax as a Family
Well, you have been busy all year round, and having some time to spend together as a family is a godsend. So, you could simply decide to do some relaxation as a family. Cuddle on the couch, drink some hot chocolate as you enjoy time with each other.
Simply just relaxing and being together as a family cannot be equaled to anything else. The kids could simply be playing with each other, as the grownups spend time talking and bonding. Here are a few things you could get up to as you enjoy each other’s company.
- Sing some of your favorite Christmas Carols, and even come up with new songs. Have everyone pick a Christmas word and put it in a hat, then start singing as you pull the words out of the hat.
- Decorate the baked gingerbread houses.
- Leave some small gifts to your neighbors and friends.
- Write some Christmas cards together, and also go through those you have received together.
- Play a board game and give it a Christmas theme.
Play a Candy Cane Hunt Game in the House
This is a great game to play with the whole family.Here’s how it’s played.
- Get some multiple colored candy canes. Ensure that it is enough for at least 6 per person.
- Let each of the kids choose their favorite color, they should hunt only for this color of the candy cane.
- Next, let one person – preferably an adult hide the candy canes.
- When they are done, let the kids go outside and start searching for them. They should, however, only find their favorite colors, and if they get a different color, they are not allowed to pick it or tell anyone about it.
- The hunt usually ends when everyone finds their colored candy canes.
- The prize of the game is to eat the candy cane before dinner, which is such a huge deal.
Watch a Christmas Movie
Almost all families have that ONE particular Christmas movie that they enjoy over the Christmas period. For most families, the options are usually – Home Alone, A Christmas Story, The Grinch, etc.
Nothing feels as great as spending time as a family just watching a nice movie. If it’s a funny one, you shall bond as you laugh together at all the funny moments, and if it’s a sad movie, you shall all cry together as a family. It’s a win-win situation, whichever one you choose.
Read the Jesus Story in the Bible
Reading the story of the birth of Christ is a great way to end Christmas Eve night. Most of the time, Christmas tends to be all about gifts and family and big dinners, and so, it’s a good idea to take some time away from the business of the day and hear what the holiday is really all about.
Small kids love to read from the children’s bible and this makes it a little more kid-friendly for everyone in the house.
Make a Special Christmas Eve Dinner
Of course, we cannot complete our list without talking about food, because this is one of the main central points of the holiday season. So, why not do a big Christmas Eve dinner for everyone? Have the family in the kitchen with you as you plan and come up with different recipes and dishes that you shall all enjoy together.
One of the best parts about Christmas time is spending it with family. With our top 5 fun things to do, you shall be able to spend lots of time together bonding and even getting to know each other better. Take some time off over the holidays to simply unwind and have a good time.